Sandi Patty, known to the world as "the Voice," was born Sandra Faye Patty on July 12, 1956 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The name Sandi Patti was not a stage name she picked, it was a typo on some of her earliest pre-publicity material.
A CCM legend, Sandi is also well known for performing with Symphony Orchestras around the country and patriotic songs. A gifted author, she has penned seven books.
Married to John Helvering in 1978, the two had four children. They divorced in 1993 amid accusations of Sandi having an affair with her backup singer, Don Peslis, who was also married. She married Peslis, who had three children, in 1995 and made a full confession to her church that the rumors were indeed true. Her career took a huge hit with Pastors speaking out against her, radio stations refusing to play her music and mail pouring in from people eager to criticize her decisions and condemn her for them. Even though she has confessed her sin, received forgiveness from God and gotten her career back on track, to this day, there are still people posting nasty comments on the internet.
The blended family the Patty and Peslis raised are Anna, twins Jon and Jenn, Donnie, Aly, Erin, Mollie, and Sam, whom they adopted.
Sandi Patty Notable Quotes:
- - While talking about the early years of her marriage to Don, with the oldest child being only 11, she said, "Those were the years I used to tell my women friends that I could be their happy thought when they were having a hard day with their kids, because no matter how bad it was they could always say, 'Well, at least I’m not Sandi!'" (from an interview with Homecoming Magazine)
- - When asked about her record label, she said, "'Stylos' is Greek for "pillar," and I certainly consider Jesus the stabilizing pillar of my life." (from an interview with Crosswalk)
- - When asked to define success, Patty said, "As an artist, it would be perhaps that I’ve learned enough in my journey. That I would have something worthwhile to pass on to the next generation." (from an interview with Suite 101)
Sandi Patty Trivia
- - Sandi sang "The Star Spangled Banner" at the rededication of the Statue of Liberty in 1986 and saw her popularity skyrocket.
- - Her debut album sold 11 million copies.
- - She was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2004 and the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 2013.
- - After undergoing lap band surgery, Sandi shed 80 pounds and saw her blood pressure and cholesterol go down.
- - Patty played the title role in the musical “Hello, Dolly!” with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, co-starring Tony Award winner Gary Beach in January 2012.
- - The most-awarded female vocalist in contemporary Christian music history, Sandi has won 39 Dove Awards, five Grammy Awards and has seen five of her albums go Gold and three go Platinum.
Sandi Patty Discography:
- - Broadway Stories, 2011
- - The Best of Sandi Patty, 2011
- - The Edge of the Divine, 2010
- - Sandi Patty Christmas LIVE, 2009
- - Hymns of Faith - Songs of Inspiration, 2009
- - Quiet Hearts - Songs of Restful Peace for Women, 2008
- - A Mother's Prayer, 2008
- - Songs for the Journey, 2008
- - Let There Be Praise - The Worship Songs of Sandi Patty, 2008
- - Falling Forward, 2007
- - The Definitive Collection: Sandi Patty, 2007
- - The Voice of Christmas, Vol. 2, 2006
- - Together, 2005 (with Kathy Troccoli)
- - Yuletide Joy, 2005
- - Take Hold of Christ, 2003
- - All the Best - Live!, 2001
- - These Days, 2000
- - Artist of My Soul, 1997
- - Find It On the Wings, 1995
- - O Holy Night - EP, 1995
- - Le Voyage, 1993
- - Make His Praise Glorious, 1992
- - More Than Wonderful, 1991
- - Sandi Patty & Friendship Company: Open for Business, 1991
- - Hymns Just for You, 1990
- - Another Time...Another Place, 1990
- - Songs from the Heart, 1990
- - Sandi's Song, 1990
- - The Finest Moments, 1989
- - Christmas With Sandi Patty - The Gift Goes On, 1987
- - Morning Like This, 1986
Books by Sandi Patty:
- - Around the Table with Sandi Patty: Faith, Family & Food, 2011
- - The Edge of the Divine: Where Possibility Meets God's Faithfulness, 2010
- - A New Day: A Guided Journal, 2008
- - Layers: Uncovering and Celebrating God's Original Idea of Me, 2008
- - Falling Forward... Into His Arms of Grace, 2007
- - Life in the Blender: Blending Families, Lives and Relationships with Grace, 2006
- - Broken on the Back Row: A Journey Through Grace and Forgiveness, 2006
Sandi Patty Dove Awards:
- - 2011 - Inspirational Album of the Year - The Edge of the Divine
- - 1999 - Long Form Music Video of the Year - My Utmost For His Highest - The Concert
- - 1999 - Spanish Language Album of the Year - Libertad De Mas
- - 1998 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Artist of My Soul
- - 1998 - Special Event Album of the Year - God With Us
- - 1996 - Special Event Album of the Year - My Utmost for His Highest
- - 1995 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Find it on the Wings
- - 1994 - Short Form Music Video of the Year - "Hand on My Shoulder"
- - 1992 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1992 - Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year - "For All the World"
- - 1992 - Children's Music Album of the Year - Open for Business
- - 1992 - Short Form Music Video of the Year - "Another Time, Another Place"
- - 1991 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1991 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Another Time, Another Place
- - 1991 - Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year - "Another Time, Another Place"
- - 1990 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1990 - Children's Music Album of the Year - The Friendship Company
- - 1989 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1989 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Make His Praise Glorious
- - 1989 - Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year - "In Heaven's Eyes"
- - 1989 - Instrumental Album of the Year - A Symphony of Praise
- - 1989 - Choral Collection Album of the Year - Sandi Patti Choral Praise
- - 1988 - Song of the Year - "In the Name of the Lord"
- - 1988 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1988 - Artist of the Year
- - 1987 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1987 - Artist of the Year
- - 1987 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Morning Like This
- - 1986 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1985 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1985 - Artist of the Year
- - 1985 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Songs From the Heart
- - 1984 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1984 - Artist of the Year
- - 1984 - Inspirational Album of the Year - More Than Wonderful
- - 1983 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1984 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Lift Up the Lord
- - 1982 - Female Vocalist of the Year
- - 1982 - Artist of the Year
Essential Sandi Patty
Sandi Patty Online