Amy Grant, known to the world as the best-selling contemporary Christian music singer ever, was born Amy Lee Grant on November 25, 1960 in Augusta, Georgia.
Originally signed to Myrrh/Word Records after they heard her demo played over the phone, Grant is now signed to Sparrow Records.
Married to Gary Chapman, the couple had three children (Millie, Sarah and Matt) when they divorced in 1999. Amy married country superstar Vince Gill in 2000 and they welcomed a daughter, Corrina in 2001.
Amy Grant Notable Quotes:
- "The journey of faith is just being willing and open to have a relationship with God. And everybody is welcome." (from an interview with watermark online)
- "I think what I mostly realize is just that life is unpredictable. So don’t be afraid, but just enjoy the day you’re in. Really make the most of it. People are going to come into your life that need you, and being there for them makes the day worth living. People are going to come into your life that you need, and that’s the really crazy thing. But it all is just part of the journey, and seeing that we’re not in control but still amazing participants, it’s a great way to live life." (from an interview with pbs when she was asked about being in her 50s.)
- "I never craved being the center of attention, I just wanted to sing." (from an interview with Ladies Home Journal)
Amy Grant Trivia
- Grant has won six Grammy Awards, 26 Dove Awards and was inducted into the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2003. She was inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame three years later.
- In 1999, she starred in the CBS "Movie of the Week," A Song From the Heart.
- She was chosen as one of People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People" in 1992.
- Amy's daughter Millie was the inspiration for her hit song, "Baby Baby."
- She was the first artist in Christian music to have a platinum record.
- Amy's first paying concert came her senior year in high school and she was paid $300.
Amy Grant Discography:
- How Mercy Looks From Here, 2013
- Somewhere Down the Road, 2010
- The Christmas Collection, 2007
- Greatest Hits, 2007
- Time Again: Amy Grant Live CD/DVD, 2006
- Rock of Ages ... Hymns and Faith, 2005
- Greatest Hits 1986-2004, 2004
- Simple Things, 2003
- Legacy...Hymns and Faith, 2002
- A Christmas to Remember, 1999
- Behind the Eyes, 1997
- House of Love, 1994
- Home for Christmas, 1992
- Heart in Motion, 1991
- Lead Me On, 1988
- The Collection, 1986
- Unguarded, 1985
- Straight Ahead, 1984
- A Christmas Album, 1983
- Age to Age, 1982
- In Concert: Volume 2, 1981
- In Concert, 1981
- Never Alone, 1980
- My Father's Eyes, 1979
- Amy Grant, 1977
Amy Grant Dove Awards:
- 2010 - Special Event Album of the Year - Glory Revealed II: The Word of God In Worship
- 2007 - Long Form Music Video of the Year - Time Again...Amy Grant Live
- 2006 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Rock of Ages...Hymns & Faith (tie)
- 2003 - Inspirational Album of the Year - Legacy...Hymns & Faith
- 2003 - Country Recorded Song of the Year - "The River's Gonna Keep On Rolling"
- 2000 - Special Event Album of the Year - Streams
- 1998 - Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year - Behind the Eyes
- 1996 - Special Event Album of the Year - My Utmost for His Highest
- 1994 - Praise & Worship Album of the Year - Songs From the Loft
- 1992 - Song of the Year - "Place in This World"
- 1992 - Artist of the Year
- 1990 - Country Recorded Song of the Year - "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus"
- 1989 - Artist of the Year
- 1989 - Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year - Lead Me On
- 1989 - Short Form Music Video of the Year - "Lead Me On"
- 1988 - Short Form Music Video of the Year - "Stay for a While"
- 1986 - Artist of the Year
- 1986 - Recorded Music Packaging of the Year - Unguarded
- 1985 - Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year - Straight Ahead
- 1984 - Recorded Music Packaging of the Year - A Christmas Album
- 1983 - Artist of the Year
- 1983 - Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year - Age to Age
- 1983 - Recorded Music Packaging of the Year - Age to Age