Following in the footsteps of Beyounce and Drake, George Strait has surprised fans by dropping the bombshell at a press conference that his brand new album "Cold Beer Conversation" arrives three days later on September 25th. "Cold Bear Conversation" will be the country music veteran's 28th album, all of which are released by MCA Nashville Records.
The album is preceded by the single "Let It Go." "Let It Go" was co-written by Strait with his son Bubba Strait and Keith Gattis. However, it was the lowest charting lead single coming off any Strait new album as the single barely made it into Billboard's Top 30, peaking merely at 29. Moreover, Strait has not had a #1 hit since 2008's "River of Love." Will the ensuing singles from "Cold Beer Conversations" break the dry spell?
Nevertheless, hopes are high for this new record. Dean Dillon who has had written many of Strait's #1 hits ("Easy Come, Easy Go" & "The Chair") is again listed on the songwriting credits. The 13-track project was produced by Strait and Chuck Ainlay, the first record by Strait not to be co-produced by Tony Brown since 1992's "Pure Country." Ainlay has worked with Mark Knopfler on much of Knopfler's solo work, in addition to some Dire Straits material. Along with Knopfler and Bob Ludwig, in 2006 he collected the Grammy Award for Best Surround Sound Album for the surround production of the famous Dire Straits album Brothers in Arms.
"I'm really, really proud of this new album," Strait says. "I think it's a great record. I always say this: I think it's one of the best records I've done. I always shoot for that ... You've gotta go in the studio thinking that way. So I'm very excited about that."
"In 1981, when I signed with MCA Records, it seems like yesterday," Strait recalls. "I think I've been at MCA longer than most people in this room have."
Strait announced his new album and single during a press conference on Tuesday (Sept. 22).
Cold Beer Conversation is available for pre-order on iTunes. It will be released exclusively via Apple Music and at Walmart.
George Strait, Cold Beer Conversation Track Listing:
1. "It Was Love" (Keith Gattis)
2. "Cold Beer Conversation" (Al Anderson, Ben Hayslip and Jimmy Yeary)
3. "Let It Go" (George Strait, Bubba Strait and Keith Gattis)
4. "Goin' Goin' Gone" (Wyatt Earp and Keith Gattis)
5. "Something Going Down" (Jamey Johnson and Tom Shapiro)
6. "Take Me to Texas" (Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally)
7. "It Takes All Kinds" (George Strait, Bubba Strait, Bob Regan and Wil Nance)
8. "Stop and Drink" (Dale Dodson and Troy Jones)
9. "Everything I See" (George Strait, Bubba Strait, Dean Dillon and Keith Gattis)
10. "Rock Paper Scissors" (Casey Beathard, Monty Criswell and Bubba Strait)
11. "Wish You Well" (Clint Daniels, Jeff Hyde and Brice Long)
12. "Cheaper Than a Shrink" (Bill Anderson, Buddy Cannon and Jamey Johnson)
13. "Even When I Can't Feel It" (Dean Dillon, Ben Hayslip and Lee Miller)