2013 was a great year for Daywind Music Group and its family of artists and songwriters. Daywind artists recorded 11 of the Singing News Top 40 Songs of the Year in 2013 with Daywind songwriters penning 11 of the Top 40 songs. 18 of the Top 40 songs for the year featured a Daywind artist, a Daywind songwriter, or both.
Diane Wilkinson, who wrote 4 of the Top 40 songs of the year (including two singles for the Kingdom Heirs, one for the Tribute Quartet, and one for 11th Hour, topped the list. She was also named Songwriter of the Year at the NQC Music Awards and Songwriter of the Year (non-performing) at the Singing News Fan Awards. Next in line was Greater Vision, Brian Free and Assurance, and the Browders. They each had two songs in the year end Top 40. Karen Peck and New River, the Nelons, Mark Trammell Quartet, the Perrys, Kenna Turner West, Jason Cox, Ronnie Hinson, Matthew Browder, Kyla Rowland, Marcia Henry, and Gerald Crabb all made their marks in 2013 as well.
As for #1 hit songs, Daywind artists and songwriters reached the top position in the Singing News charts 9 times in 2013. The hits included...
- "I Want To Be That Man," co-written by Ricky Free and recorded by Brian Free and Assurance (February)
- "Just Preach Jesus," written by Diane Wilkinson and recorded by the Kingdom Heirs (April)
- “I Got A Hold Of God This Morning,” written by Kyla Rowland and recorded by the Perrys (May)
- “Praise You in This Valley,” written by Matthew Browder and recorded by the Browders (July)
- “Good News From Jerusalem,” written by Diane Wilkinson and recorded by the Tribute Quartet (August)
- “Calvary’s Cry,” co-written by Kenna Turner West and Jason Cox and recorded by Brian Free and Assurance (September)
- “Just Beyond the Sunset,” written by Diane Wilkinson and recorded by the Kingdom Heirs (October)
- “Looking For The Grace” by Greater Vision (November)
- “He Is Alive,” written by Matthew Browder and recorded by the Browders (December)
In a press release, Daywind President Ed Leonard said, "We are blessed that so many of the top artists and songwriters in Southern Gospel music have chosen to call Daywind home. They are putting so much effort into their craft and drawing on God’s inspiration to create music of hope and faith. We are thankful for the songs, the artists, the songwriters, our friends at radio. We will continue serving radio and the world by producing top quality Southern Gospel music."
2014 is already on tap to be another stellar year for the group. Daywind has 20 of the Top 40 songs and the top 3 new releases for January. Amanda Martin, Daywind’s Director of Media Relations, talked about their excitement, saying, "Southern Gospel radio stations have been very receptive to the Daywind singles and are eager to hear what is coming in 2014. We are excited to start the New Year with another number 1 song, ‘Revival’ by Karen Peck and New River."