November 18th kicks off National Collection Week for Operation Christmas Child by Samaritan's Purse. This year, Si Robertson from Ducky Dynasty has teamed up with Operation Christmas Child to get the word out about this wonderful program.
Packing a shoebox is easy and your gift can bring more than just a smile to the face of a child on Christmas morning; it can also bring the gift of eternal life.
- Get an empty cardboard or plastic shoebox. You can wrap the box, lid separately, but wrapping is not required. Spacesavers.com is offering special pricing to encourage customers to help out with Operation Christmas Child.
- Decide whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the age category. (Pick from 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14.) Download and print the appropriate boy/girl label and mark the correct age category. Tape the label to the top of your box.
- Fill the box with small toys that are appropriate for the age group/gender.
- Toys: Include items that children will immediately embrace such as dolls, toy cars/trucks, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise (with extra batteries), etc.
- School Supplies: Pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- Hygiene Items: Toothbrush, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- Accessories: T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries).
Please do not pack - Used or damaged items; any war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. If you include your name and address, the child may write you back.
In order to help cover shipping and other costs related to delivering your shoeboxes to children overseas, please donate $7 for each gift you prepare. You can give online to discover the destination of your box or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on the memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the items inside your shoebox. If you are preparing multiple gifts, please make one combined donation. (Note: Follow Your Box is only available through online giving.)
Place a rubber band around each closed shoebox and take it to the drop-off location nearest you during National Collection Week, November 18 - 25. Visit the Drop-off Locations page to find the closest collection site. Or, call 1-800-353-5949.
If you would prefer to build your box online, for $30, you can select your gifts, watch them go into a virtual box and then know that they'll go to a child on Christmas.
Tags : Christmas 2013